I would love to have a smoker but not enough to actually buy one. I don’t know how they work and it seems like it would be hard. Not to mention, I don’t need another giant thing on my patio that I would most likely only use a couple of times a year. I don’t have to worry about any of that because I can just turn my own gas grill into a smoker. Here is how:
- Buy wood chips at your grocery store. I have Apple smoking chips here. Soak 2-3 handfuls of chips in a bowl of water for at least 15 minutes.
- After they have soaked, drain and place in the middle of a large sheet of heavy duty foil.
- Fold up the foil into a loose packet.
- Cut a couple of holes, or vents, into the packet.
- Place the foil packet under the grates of your grill directly over the heat source. You will notice I also place a tray under where my meat will go so it will catch most of the drips. Helps keep things clean.
- Replace grates and turn the grill to low heat. You only want to turn on the burner directly underneath your wood chips.
- Let the wood chips get hot and start to smoke a bit, it will take about 10 minutes.
- Put your food on the other side of the grill, away from the heat source.
- Smoke Up Johnny! (Bonus points if you know that movie quote)