Happy Preakness Weekend! I have a daughter who loves horses and a mother who loves the races. She drives 45 minutes to make $2 bets on the long shots (my mother, not my daughter); it cracks me up!
In light of the big race coming up I thought I would share one of the cakes I made last year for my girls’ birthday. It is fitting for the weekend and really very easy:
- Take any flavor cupcake you want and place them in the shape of a horse head. To please both my girls we did a combo of chocolate and vanilla but you can do whatever you want. It will probably work better with one type that are all the same size but I had to work with what came out of the oven.
- Place a dollop of frosting on each cupcake.
- Spread the frosting out as evenly as you can.
- Melt some chocolate, put it in a pastry bag or ziplock bag and cut the tip off. On a piece of parchment paper or wax paper “draw” mouth, eyes, nose and ears. I drew more than one assuming I would need some options.
- Place the “ear” where you want it then fill another pastry bag/ziplock with frosting, whatever color you want for the mane. Start piping in strands of hair.
- Put on the rest of the facial features and… Voila! Horse Pull-Apart Cupcake Cake! Watch little girls and betting mothers everywhere squeal with delight!
P.S. Mom’s $2 bet really paid off in the Derby! Congrats Mom!
P.P.S. Let’s Go Blues!
5 thoughts on “Horses!”
I love the horse cake and happy you have the perseverance to tackle. Yes, lucky on #20 for a $2 bet! You are a sweetheart.
I love this & it’s so creative, Niece! And great timing for Preakness weekend! Love, MW
I love this cake! I have failed miserably in the past getting frosting to not fall through the holes on cupcake pullapart cakes. Any suggestions? Perhaps I was using the wrong frosting…is there a special kind I should be using?
I am also a horse lover though not a fan of the races. I have three former racehorses in my backyard! :-)
I wish I had a better answer but the frosting definitely fell between the cupcakes. I whipped room temp ganache which worked great but I think if I would have had all the same cupcakes they wouldn’t have been so messy… different sizes led to larger spaces. Also, never want to frost in too warm of a kitchen.
So awesome you have former racehorses!!! My daughter will be so jealous!
Thank you! I’ll have to try it again soon. I’ve been so afraid of screwing it up again I haven’t even attempted it in years. lol