Happy Preakness Weekend! I have a daughter who loves horses and a mother who loves the races. She drives 45 minutes to make $2 bets on the long shots (my mother, not my daughter); it cracks me up!
In light of the big race coming up I thought I would share one of the cakes I made last year for my girls’ birthday. It is fitting for the weekend and really very easy:
- Take any flavor cupcake you want and place them in the shape of a horse head. To please both my girls we did a combo of chocolate and vanilla but you can do whatever you want. It will probably work better with one type that are all the same size but I had to work with what came out of the oven.
- Place a dollop of frosting on each cupcake.
- Spread the frosting out as evenly as you can.
- Melt some chocolate, put it in a pastry bag or ziplock bag and cut the tip off. On a piece of parchment paper or wax paper “draw” mouth, eyes, nose and ears. I drew more than one assuming I would need some options.
- Place the “ear” where you want it then fill another pastry bag/ziplock with frosting, whatever color you want for the mane. Start piping in strands of hair.
- Put on the rest of the facial features and… Voila! Horse Pull-Apart Cupcake Cake! Watch little girls and betting mothers everywhere squeal with delight!
P.S. Mom’s $2 bet really paid off in the Derby! Congrats Mom!
P.P.S. Let’s Go Blues!