People hear lamb and they get scared. Don’t get scared. It’s easy and delicious. I never liked lamb. I had bites of other people’s in fancy restaurants; restaurants that “know” how to make lamb. And it was a big NO. That is, until my friend Brian made lamb.
He knows how much I love food and wanted me to try it. I said no because I know lamb is expensive and I know I don’t like lamb so I don’t want to waste it. But, eventually I took a bite of my husband’s. AMAZING! And you will find Brian’s life-changing recipe for Lamb Lollipops on page 91 of your cookbook.
I was still too scared to try other versions of lamb. Just the lollipops please. Fast forward to my obsession with Aldi. Special Buy on butterflied leg of lamb, yes please!
So, we prep this baby similar to (but not exactly like) we do for lamb lollipops. Throw it on the grill. Slice it thin. Put it on some naan. Top with tzatziki, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, olives… whatever you want and dig in!
E likes just the meat on the naan and everything else on the side (and she had already finished all the veggies before I could snap a shot).
A swaps out the lamb for hummus but loads up her naan with all the other toppings.
We serve with Roasted Potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Cavender’s All-Purpose Greek Seasoning (pg. 81). And everyone is happy! Including me, because it really is a quick and easy meal but man does it impress people.
Easy Lamb Gyros
3-4 lb Butterflied Leg of Lamb (unseasoned)
2 T Olive Oil
2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Garlic Powder (granulated garlic)
1 tsp Pepper
1 T Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning
Naan (or tortillas or pita) for serving
Tzatziki (homemade or store bought)
1 English Cucumber, small dice
1 pint Grape Tomatoes, small dice
1/2 c Feta Cheese (small dice or crumbled)
1/2 c Pitted Kalamata Olives, sliced in half
Rub the lamb all over with olive oil.
Generously season both sides with all of the salt, garlic powder, pepper and Cavender’s. Put in a dish with a lid or a ziplock bag and marinate in the fridge 2-8 hours or overnight.
*You don’t have to marinate but it will taste better if you have the time.
Cook on a medium hot to hot grill about 10 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 140.
Remove the lamb from the grill, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
Slice the lamb thin. Serve hot with naan and additional toppings.
Easy Lamb Gyros
- 3-4 lb Butterflied Leg of Lamb unseasoned
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder granulated garlic
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 T Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning
- Naan (or tortillas or pita) for serving
- Tzatziki homemade or store bought
- 1 English Cucumber small dice
- 1 pint Grape Tomatoes small dice
- 1/2 c Feta Cheese small dice or crumbled
- 1/2 c Pitted Kalamata Olives sliced in half
- Rub the lamb all over with olive oil.
- Generously season both sides with all of the salt, garlic powder, pepper and Cavender's. Put in a dish with a lid or a ziplock bag and marinate in the fridge 2-8 hours or overnight. *You don't have to marinate but it will taste better if you have the time.
- Cook on a medium hot to hot grill about 10 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 140. Remove the lamb from the grill, cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice the lamb thin. Serve hot with naan and additional toppings