The Steelers are playing again on Sunday, whoop whoop! We are planning to have friends over and gorge on snacks and comfort foods. I can’t wait!
As I have mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with treating yourself every now and again. Balance is the key. To balance out the clam chowder and some form of chip and dip I am sure to consume this weekend (see Hot Fat), I am trying to make better choices during the week. Enter the Mediterranean Roll-Up. Making smart choices can be satisfying and full of flavor; this certainly is!
This roll-up is very customizable. I make some of the ingredients, I buy some of them. You could buy everything if you want to make it easier on yourself. I don’t use red onion or red peppers because I don’t like them. If you do, add them. I add chicken because I want a little more substance, but this could easily be vegetarian. If you want something even more substantial, buy a bigger tortilla and make this into a full-fledge wrap. But the roll-up suits me just fine.
You just have to be sure you only put in a little bit of everything or else it won’t roll. That is the hardest part, not over-stuffing the tortilla. Little layers of everything…
8″ Whole Wheat Tortilla
Hummus (I use store-bought)
Tzatziki (I make my own; recipe below)
Baby Spinach Leaves
English Cucumber, diced or cut into strips
Kalamata Olives, halved
Grape Tomatoes, chopped
Feta Cheese, crumbled
*Grilled or Sautéed Chicken, cut into strips
Place the tortilla on a plate.
Layer a little of each of the remaining ingredients on top.
Roll it up; that’s it!
Enjoy your flavor packed lunch!
*This is a good use for leftover chicken or you can buy a “grilled chicken breast” at your local grocery store (usually in the deli section with the prepared foods). I did cook my chicken. I bought one breast and it made 3 roll-ups (probably 4 if my hubby hadn’t kept eating it off the cutting board). I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning. I heated a little olive oil in a pan and browned the chicken on one side. I then flipped it and put it into a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. I let it rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes about 1 ½ cups
I love this stuff and feel like it is very versatile. Use it in your roll-up or as a dip for veggies, pita chips and/or grilled meats.
½ English Cucumber or 2 Mini Cucumbers
7 oz container Whole-Milk Greek Yogurt
½ clove of Garlic, finely minced or grate over the mixing bowl
¼ c Feta Cheese, crumbled
1 tsp chopped fresh Dill
Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the cucumber.
Using your hand, squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the cucumber.
Place grated cucumber in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and sprinkle with some salt.
Let the cucumber sit in the strainer for at least 10 minutes (this will help the cucumber release more liquid).
In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, feta, dill and grated cucumber.
Stir until well combined.
Serve or refrigerate until ready to use.
Even if I don’t have fresh dill I make this without any herbs. Still Great!
- 8 " Whole Wheat Tortilla
- Hummus I use store-bought
- Tzatziki I make my own; recipe below
- Baby Spinach Leaves
- English Cucumber diced or cut into strips
- Kalamata Olives halved
- Grape Tomatoes chopped
- Feta Cheese crumbled
- *Grilled or Sautéed Chicken cut into strips
- Place the tortilla on a plate.
- Layer a little of each of the remaining ingredients on top.
- Roll it up; that's it! Enjoy your flavor packed lunch!
- ½ English Cucumber or 2 Mini Cucumbers
- 7 oz container Whole-Milk Greek Yogurt
- ½ clove of Garlic finely minced or grate over the mixing bowl
- ¼ c Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp chopped fresh Dill
- Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the cucumber. Using your hand, squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the cucumber. Place grated cucumber in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and sprinkle with some salt. Let the cucumber sit in the strainer for at least 10 minutes (this will help the cucumber release more liquid).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, feta, dill and grated cucumber. Stir until well combined.
- Serve or refrigerate until ready to use.